Thursday, May 23, 2013

Four Generations of Team Members Working in Harmony by Madeline Frank, Ph.D.

How can you, successfully run a business with your four generations of team members?

Recently I took my car to the Sears Tire Store as my front passenger tire had a slow leak in it. I had just been to the local car dealer to get an oil change and they said, "You will need a new tire which will cost you $280 plus tax, $140 for the tire and $140 for the labor. You can not patch this tire again." I left and went to Sears.

At the Sears Tire store I waited in line to speak to an associate. One associate, J, a Baby Boomer in his 50’s, was speaking to a customer and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Mature, around 70 years of age. When the associate looked up this customer’s record he said, “Your tires are 10 years old.”

My thinking was “he sure got his monies worth out of those tires!”

J’s customer, Mr. Mature asked, "Is the manager in?" Associate J said, "The Manager’s at a meeting."

A few minutes later the manager walked in and smiled at this customer. The manager of the store was from Generation X, around 42 years old. She spoke to Mr. Mature in a pleasant friendly manner and convinced him to purchase four new tires.

The other associate was from Generation Y/ Millennial, was in his early 20’s. He was speaking to a customer in Generation X around 44 years old.

Each associate treated their customers politely with respect and with a strong desire to help their customers. Each generation was connecting to the other generation without any problems.


When it was my turn, the Generation Y associate T, asked for my name, year of my car and my phone number and zip code. His fingers flew across the key board and he found my information within seconds. T was very computer savvy. He smiled and said, "Your tires were purchased here in 2009 and you bought a policy on them. Let’s go look at your tire and see if we can’t double patch it. AAA of Tidewater does not have this ability and neither does your car dealer."

We went outside to look at my front right tire and he said, "We can double patch it and rotate your tires." I asked, If he thought I needed to replace it as some of the tires had a very small amount of rot on them."

T said, "When tires are out in the elements it cannot be helped. This happens and your tires are still in good shape. We will patch the tire and rotate your tires. It will not cost you anything as you already purchased the warranty.”

I should add that I am a Baby Boomer, born between 1946 and 1965. I sure was glad I bought my warranty. I waited in the store lounge and read several magazines on how to manage your multi-generational work force. After reading two articles, T came in smiling and said, “Your car is ready. Take a look at the patch we removed. We double patched it and rotated your tires.”

After signing that the work was completed, T said, "If you go on line and fill out our customer satisfaction form, you will receive a reduced oil change coupon.”


I left the store and after work that night, filled out their Sears Tire customer survey form. I was really impressed how this store manager ran her store so successfully, with her multi-generational team members. Her employees were polite, respectful, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.

A few days after my visit to the Sears Tire Store I called and spoke to the store manager, Ms. L. I told her what a wonderful job her multi-generational team members did. "She was delighted to hear that!"


Write and share your experiences in the work place. What would you like to see happen at your company?


Madeline Frank, Ph.D. is an Amazon.com Best Selling Author, sought after speaker, business owner, teacher, researcher, and concert artist. She helps businesses and organizations "Tune Up their Businesses". Her innovative observations show you the blue prints necessary to improve and keep your businesses successful. She writes a monthly newsletter "Madeline's Monthly Article & Musical Tips" and a monthly radio show "Madeline's One Minute Musical Radio Show". She has just published her new book "Leadership On A Shoestring Budget".

If you need a speaker contact Madeline at: mfrankviola@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

First Impressions

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Madeline Frank, Ph.D. business owner, teacher, researcher, speaker and concert artist. She writes a monthly newsletter "Madeline's Monthly Article & Musical Tips" and a monthly radio show "Madeline's One Minute Musical Radio Show".